Abdulsalam Alghamdi is a professor of Electrical Engineering and Energy with 32 years of experience in the fields of Energy, encompassing Renewable Energy Systems, Power Systems and High Voltage Engineering, including teaching, research, project management and executive administration experience. Some career highlights are given below:
- Graduated from King Abdulaziz University in 1988, with BSc in Electrical Engineering, gained a Master of Science (MSc) in Electrical Power Systems and Energy from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in 1990, and was awarded a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Manchester in 1993.
- Undertook many academic and administrative roles, for example: (a) was appointed in 1994 as Vice Dean for Jeddah College of Technology, and (b) Dean for Jeddah College of Technology and Director for the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training in Jeddah region (1998-2006). Such role encompassedresponsibilities for more than 100 governmental and private institutes, as follows: (i) College of Technology, (ii) College of Communications, (iii) 12 high commercial institutes, (iv) 2 high industrial institutes, (v) 2 vocational training centres, and (vi) 84 private technical education and training institutes in Jeddah area. During this period, Jeddah College of Technology established a Total Quality Management system (TQM) office and trained 12 internal auditors, which led to gaining the ISO 9002 and ISO 9001certificate as the first academic sector in KSA. Four new specializations were established in Jeddah College of Technology: Civil Technology, Architecture Technology, Marketing and Tourism. . Career Office was established and linked to the governmental Job Office in Jeddah (Makkah Region) and the Human Resources Fund in Makkah Region, which has a significant role in employing thousands of graduates from the above colleges and institutes through a yearly arranged Career Day, inaugurated annually by the Prince of Makkah Region. Moreover, he had responsibilities of recruiting and approving the appointed faculties and teachers and defining the criteria for admitting the students, setting the exams rules, approving the graduation transcripts and certificates and providing the facilities and equipment and tools for laboratories and training workshops. This included designing and supervising the commissioning of the first High Voltage lab in the colleges of Technology.
- Leadership of committees on training and employment including: (i) being the head of Training and Employment Office in Jeddah, which was under the umbrella of Prince Abdulmajeed Program for Training and Employment which has adapted the Competency-Based-Training and Employment and resulted in job placement for the graduates of the colleges and institutes.(ii) Head of the Ministry of Labour Committee in Jeddah for Employment which resulted in appointing hundreds of job seekers. (iii) Participation in many committees in Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry, where he was a member of the Committee of Employment in the Marine Sector in Saudi Arabia for 6 years (initiated by the Minister of Transportation). Membership of the Industrial committee and member of the board of Jeddah Office for Education and Employment in Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Moreover, he was head of many recruitment committees for the colleges of technology in KSA from UK, USA, Jordan and Egypt.
- Public engagement related to training and employment was conducted through many interviews on newspapers and TV programs, such as 1st Channel – Saudi TV, Okaz, Almadiah, Riyadh, Aljazeerah, Alyoum, Alwattan and Middle East newspapers, as well as reports by Saudi Press Agency.
- Granted a one-year full time visiting research position (Visiting Academic) in the world-renowned Tony Davies High Voltage Lab in the University of Southampton undertaking research on Energy and High Voltage Engineering (2007). This was converted into a Visiting Academic Staff research position until Jan 2021.
- After spending 4 years as the Vice-Dean and 8 Years as the Dean of Jeddah College of Technology and the Head of the Council of The Technical Education and Vocational Training in Jeddah Directorate, he then moved to King Abdulaziz University in 2008, to join the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department as an Associate Professor.
- Appointed as the Director of the prestigious King Salman bin Abdulaziz Chair for Energy Research in 2013. This position was in addition to other ongoing academic duties. The research programme and income managed under this chair include SR 6.00 million (US$ 1.6 million).
- Recently has been awarded a new grant of SR 7.33 million (US$ 1.95 million) through the Ministry of Education, Saudi Arabia, International Collaboration Program. The project is a partnership between King Abdulaziz University - Saudi Arabia and the University of Southampton – UK (2020 to 2023).
- In addition to research in Power and High Voltage Engineering since 1990, research in renewable energy started in 2014, which resulted in a US patent, PV systems’ research including high profile installations (in cooperation with the University of Southampton), prototypes, ISI published papers in high impact journals and on-going projects. It is expected that these projects will yield new patents and research papers, where new ones have been accepted for publishing and some are under review processes.
- Published over 14 articles in high impact ISI journals and 15 conference papers, mostly in IEEE international conferences; and co-invented and registered a patent, in the US office, of a new design for a “Foldable Parabolic Solar Collector”.
- Authored a much-needed book in Arabic entitled “Fundamentals of High Voltage Engineering”. This is believed to be the only Arabic book on the topic. It is being published by King Abdulaziz University (KAU) Publishing Centre in 2020. The work on the book was based on expertise in the area and was under grant from the Deanship of Scientific Research at KAU, who recognised the importance of the subject for the Kingdom. He authored and co-authored other books in Arabic in Power and High Voltage Engineering, to negate the shortage in the Arabic Library, where they are used as teaching material for the students of the Colleges of Technology in KSA. These are: High Voltage Technology, Workshop of Domestic Electrical Installation, Generation and Transformation Main Stations.
Bachelor degree from Electrical and Computer EngineFaculty of Engineering, King Abdulaziz University, جده, المملكة العربية السعودية
Master degree from Electrical Engineering and EleTechnology, UMIST (University of Mancheste, مانشستر, بريطانيا
Doctorate degree from Department of Electrical EngineeringFaculty of Engineering, University of Manchester, مانشستر, بريطانيا
Lecturing ِAssistant , Jeddah College of Technology, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Vice Dean - Jeddah College of Technology, Jeddah College of Technology, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Assistant Professor, Jeddah College of Technology, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Dean - Jeddah College of Technology, Jeddah College of Technology, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Associate Professor, Jeddah College of Technology, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Head of Jeddah Board for Technical Education and vocational Training, General Organization for Technical Education and Vocational Training, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton - Electronics and Computer Science Dept. - Tony Davis High Voltage Lab, ساوثهامبتون, بريطانيا
Associate Professor, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, المملكة العربية السعودية
Director of King Salman bin Abdulaziz for Energy Research, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, المملكة العربية السعودية
Professor, King Abdulaziz Uiversity, جدة, المملكة العربية السعودية
He is interested in researching electrical power systems, particularly High Voltage Engineering. His specialty is to investigate surface and bulk breakdown (Tracking, Electrical Treeing and water Treeing). His interests include; modeling and simulating high voltage electrical field and electromagnetic field, investigating Partial Discharges, Insulation Coordination of high voltage equipments, and commercial testing of High Voltage equipments and cables.
He puplished many papers and reports:
Funded Research Projects
Over the last 20 years, I have undertaken multidisciplinary research programmes covering energy and power engineering, with a total research income value of SR 17 million (US$ 4.5 million). These projects address research areas that are of high relevance to the Kingdom and the global society. These projects include partnership with high calibre international research institutions. Full details of these projects are given below.
- Distributed Powerhouses: Solar Assisted Electrical and Thermal Demand Reduction in Saudi Arabia Housing. Ministry of Education, International Collaboration Program between King Abdulaziz University -Saudi Arabia and University of Southampton – UK, 2020 – 2023. (7,330,707 SR = 1,954,855 US$).
- King Salman bin Abdulaziz Chair for Energy Research. King Abdulaziz University. (6000000 SR = 1,600,000 US$) – (2013 – now) The executed fundamental research projects are as follows:
- Innovative Foldable Parabolic Solar Collector Design and Evaluation for Saudi Arabia Environment.
- Developing a Low-cost Automated Dual-axes Sun Tracking System with Sand/Dust Detection and Removal Suitable for PV System in Saudi Arabia.
- Solar Photovoltaic Power Generation Potential in Car Parking Shading - Infrastructure Demonstration Phase.
- Pilot Testing of Optimized Design of Integrated Collector Storage Water Heater for Seawater Desalination Purposes.
- Solar Energy Integration Facility (SEIF).
- International Symposium on the Advances in Solar Energy. King Abdulaziz University, Conference Center, 2-3 Feb 2019.
- The Reference Directory for Technical Education and Vocational Training in the Gulf Countries. Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States. (120,000 SR = 32000 US$), 2003.
- Field Measurements of Electric and Magnetic Fields from Power Transmission Lines and Substations and their Possible Effect on the Public of KSA. King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) – Joint Scientific Committee between KACST and Saudi Electric Company (SEC) - (Proposal No. ق أ-7-1 ), Riyadh. (741,689 SR = 197,783.73 US$), 2010.
- Performance of Monitoring of Composite Insulators in the Coastal Regions of National Grid, Saudi Arabia. Saudi Electric Company (SEC) - (RFP No. ST507). (2,836,200 SR = 756,320 US$), 2013.
Publications - Books
1- عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي. كتاب أساسيات هندسة الجهد العالي. مركز النشر العلمي، جامعة الملك عبدالعزيز، ديسمبر 2019.
2- عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي وموسى عبدالله. منهج: تقنية الجهد العالي. مناهج الكليات التقنية بالمملكة، المؤسسة العامة للتدريب التقني والمهني، 2003.
3- عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي وفهد الحربي وعثمان الغامدي. منهج: ورشة التركيبات المنزلية. مناهج الكليات التقنية بالمملكة، المؤسسة العامة للتدريب التقني والمهني، 2003.
4- عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي و خالد سدراوي. منهج: التوليد ومحطات التحويل الرئيسية. مناهج الكليات التقنية بالمملكة، المؤسسة العامة للتدريب التقني والمهني، 2003.
5 – عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي، عمر محمد باسودان، جابر محمد الدندشي، كامل عطية عبدالسلام، " دراسة مسحية للإتجاهات المعاصرة في تطوير مناهج التعليم التقني". مشروع مدعوم من مكتب التربية لدول الخليج العربي. 1423/1424هـ، تم الإنتهاء منه وتسليمه للمكتب عام 1424هـ.
6- عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي، عمر محمد باسودان، جابر محمد الدندشي، كامل عطية عبدالسلام، "دليل التعليم التقني بدول مجلس التعاون لدول الخليج العربي". مشروع مدعوم من مكتب التربية لدول الخليج العربي. 1423/1424هـ، تم الإنتهاء منه وتسليمه للمكتب عام 1424هـ.
Translation for the above Arabic books’ titles in English:
He authored and co-authored the above books in Arabic in Power, High Voltage Engineering and Education, to supply the shortage in the Arabic Library. The books are used as teaching material for the students of the Colleges of Technology in KSA, and as source books of technical knowledge for the Arab native readers. A translation of the above Arabic books’ titles is shown below.
1. Abdulsalam S Alghamdi. Fundamentals of High Voltage Engineering. Scientific Publishing Centre, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah. Dec 2019.
2. Abdulsalam S Alghamdi and Musa Abdullah. High Voltage Technology. Curricula of the Colleges of Technology, General Organization for Technical and Vocational Training, Riyadh. 2003.
3. Abdulsalam S. Alghamdi, Fahad Alharbi and Uthman Alghamdi. Workshop of Domestic Electrical Installation. Curricula of the Colleges of Technology, General Organization for Technical and Vocational Training, Riyadh. 2003.
4. Abdulsalam S Alghamdi and Khalid Sedrawi. Generation, and Transformation Main Stations. Curricula of the Colleges of Technology, General Organization for Technical and Vocational Training, Riyadh. 2003.
5. Abdulsalam S Alghamdi, Omer M Basoudan, Jaber M Aldandashi and Kamel A Abdulsalam. Survey Study about the Recent Trends for Developing the Technical Education Curricula. Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States, Riyadh. 2003.
6. Abdulsalam S Alghamdi, Omer M Basoudan, Jaber M Aldandashi and Kamel A Abdulsalam. Technical Education manual for the Arab Gulf States (GCC countries). Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States, Riyadh. 2003.
Publications - Journals
- 1.Alghamdi, A. S., Desuqi, R. K., A Study of Expected Lifetime of XLPE Insulation Cables Working at Elevated Temperatures by Applying Accelerated Thermal Ageing, Accepted for publishing in HELIYON Journal by Elsevier, 12 Dec 2019.
- 2.Abubakr S Bahaj, Mustapha Y. Mahdy, and Abdulsalam S Alghamdi, "Offshore Wind Can Deliver Arabian Peninsula Countries Renewables Targets", Accepted for publishing in Renewable Energy Journal by Elsevier. 14 Dec 2019.
- 3.Amara, W, Oueslati, D, Eltresy, N, Alghamdi, A. Parametric study of modified dipole nano?antennas printed on thick substrates for infrared energy harvesting. Int J Numer Model. 25 Nov 2019; e2704. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnm.2704
- 4.Hassan Baaqeel, Faissal Abdelhady, Abdulsalam S. Alghamdi, Mahmoud M. El-Halwagi, Optimal design and scheduling of a solar-assisted domestic desalination systems, Computers & Chemical Engineering, Volume 132, 2020, 106605, ISSN 0098-1354, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2019.106605.
- 5.Alghamdi, A. S. (2019). Potential for Rooftop-Mounted PV Power Generation to Meet Domestic Electrical Demand in Saudi Arabia: Case Study of a Villa in Jeddah. Energies, 12(23), 4411.
- 6.Alghamdi, A. S., Bahaj, A. S., Blunden, L. S., & Wu, Y. (2019). Dust Removal from Solar PV Modules by Automated Cleaning Systems. Energies, 12(15), pp 2923-2944.
- 7.Ramli, M. A., Bouchekara, H. R. E. H., & Alghamdi, A. S. (2019). Efficient energy management in a microgrid with intermittent renewable energy and storage sources. Sustainability, 11(14), 3839.
- 8.Alghamdi, A. S., Magnetic Field Exposure Assessment During Live Line Maintenance in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Innovations in Engineering and Technology (IJIET), ISSN: 2319-
- 9.Makbul A. M. Ramli, H. R. E. H. Bouchekara, and Abdulsalam S. Alghamdi “Optimal sizing of PV/wind/diesel hybrid microgrid system using multi-objective self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm.” Renewable Energy, Volume 121, June 2018, Pages 400-411.
- Alghamdi, Abdulsalam S., AbuBakr S. Bahaj, and Yue Wu. "Assessment of Large Scale Photovoltaic Power Generation from Carport Canopies." Energies 10.5 (2017): 686.
- A.S. Alghamdi, “Reduction of Magnetizing Inrush Current in the Transformers”. Engineering Research Bulletin, Menoufiya University, Egypt, Vol. 21, No. 1, PP. 121-132, 1998.
- A.S.G. Alghamdi, D.W. Auckland, A.J. Risino, B.R. Varlow, “Reducing Variability in Inclined Plane Tracking Test Results”. IEEE Transaction on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 3, No. 3, PP. 439-443, 1996.
- A.S. Alghamdi, D. Mills, P. Lwein, G. Chen "Factors Influencing Space Charge and Electroluminescence of Epoxy Resin", Experimental data were collected, and a paper will be submitted to the IEEE (Electrical Insulation and Dielectrics Transaction) – ongoing research.
Publications - Conferences
- 1.Qi Wan, Abdulsalam S. Alghamdi, G. Chen, "Influence of nanofillers on electrical characteristics of Epoxy Resin Insulation". The 10th IEEE International Conference on Solid Dielectrics (ICSD 10), Potsdam, Germany, July 2010.
- 2.A.S. Alghamdi, D. Mills, P. Lwein, “Influence of Ageing on Space Charge and Electroluminescence of Epoxy Resin”, The 10th IEEE International Conference on Solid Dielectrics (ICSD 10), Potsdam, Germany, July 2010.
- 3.A. S. Alghamdi and S. J. Dodd, “The Influence of Absorbed Moisture on Partial Discharge Patterns Measured During Tree Growth in an Epoxy Resin”, The 9th IEEE International Conference on Solid Dielectrics (ICSD 07), Winchester, UK, pp.623-626, July 2007.
- 4.M. A. Abd-Allah and A. S. Alghamdi, “Diagnostic Techniques of Partial Discharge in Gas Insulated Systems – A Review”. GCC Power Conference 2003, Oman, December 2003.
- 5.عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي و عمر محمد باسودان، " الإطار المرجعي العام لتطوير التعليم المهني والتقني في الدول الأعضاء"، الندوة الفكرية عن ملاءمة مخرجات التعليم التقني والفني والتدريب المهني لمتطلبات القطاع الخاص وسوق العمل في الدول الأعضاء، مكتب التربية العربي لدول الخليج، الدمام، شعبان 1423هـ.
- 6.عبدالسلام سعيد الغامديو عمر محمد باسودان، " علاقة التعليم المهني والتقني بالتعليم العام والجامعي"، الندوة الفكرية عن ملاءمة مخرجات التعليم التقني والفني والتدريب المهني لمتطلبات القطاع الخاص وسوق العمل في الدول الأعضاء، مكتب التربية العربي لدول الخليج، الدمام، شعبان 1423هـ.
- 7.جابر محمد الدندشيو عبدالسلام سعيد الغامدي وكامل عبدالسلام أحمد، " تقييم وقياس معدل أعضاء هيئة التدريس لتأكيد الجودة في العملية التعليمية"، المؤتمر والمعرض التقني السعودي الثاني، المؤسسة العامة للتعليم الفني والتدريب المهني، الرياض، شعبان 1423هـ.
- 8.M. A. Abd-Allah and A. S. Alghamdi, “Effect of Environmental Conditions on The Magnetic Field Emanating From EHV Power Lines in Saudi Arabia”. GCC-Cigre, Oman, October 2002.
- 9.M.A. Abd-Allah, A.S. Alghamdi, “Magnetic Field Mitigation Using Line Compaction”. MEPCON (Middle East Power Conference), Sponsored by IEEE, Egypt, 2001.
- M.A. Abd-Allah, A.S. Alghamdi, “Ion Trajectories and Corona Effects at Converting One Circuit of a Double Circuit AC Line to DC”. IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 2001.
- A.S. Alghamdi, M.A. Abd-Allah, “Characterization of Magnetic Fields Under EHV Transmission Lines in Saudi Arabia”. First Saudi Technical Conference & Exhibition, Riyadh, Vol. II, PP. 181-185, 2000.
- Abdel-Salam, M., El-Mohandes, M., Alghamdi, A.S., “ Induced Fields, Charges and Currents on a Lineman Engaged in Transmission-Line Insulator Washing”, Thirtieth IAS Annual Meeting, IAS '95., Industry Applications Conference, 1995. Conference Record of the 1995 IEEE, Vol. 2, pp 1403-1408, 1995.
- Sharaf, S.M., Alghamdi, A.S., “ Adaptive Controller for Static VAR Compensator-Synchronous Generator System”, 4th Saudi Engineering Conference, K.A.A.U.-Jeddah, 1995.
- El-Makkawy, S.M. & Ghorab, M.E. (Egypt), Horvath, T. (Hungary), Alghamdi, A.S. (Saudi Arabia), “Numerical Analysis of the Electric Stress in a Cylindrical Cavities Embedded in Solid Dielectric Materials”, 9th International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, 1995, Austria.
- Alghamdi, A.S.G., Mufti, A.H.A., “ The Performance of Outdoor Polymeric Insulation Under Onerous Atmospheric Conditions”, Gcc-CIGRE 5th Symposium on High Voltage Overhead Lines and Underground Cables, Qatar, 1994.
- A.S.G. Alghamdi, D.W. Auckland, B.R. Varlow., “The Influence of Stray Capacitance on Wet Tracking of Polyester Resin”, 6th International Conference on Dielectric Materials, Measurements and applications, U.K., 1992.
ABDEL-HADY, F. E., & ALGHAMDI, A. S. (2019). FOLDABLE PARABOLIC SOLAR COLLECTOR, U.S. Patent No. 10,208,984. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
I am interested in researching in renewable energy and in high voltage engineering, in the field of surface breakdown of polymeric insulating materials, especially in tracking and erosion. I am researching as well in bulk breakdown, such as electrical treeing. My other research interests are; studying the influence of conditioning and aging on partial discharges and space charges in polymeric insulating materials, by using the Pulsed Electro-acoustic and Electroluminescence techniques. The findings are published in international conferences.
|Electrical Power System I
|Senior Students Projects coordinator for Power System group.
|Transients in Electrical Power Systems and Insulation Coordination (MSc Course)
| Basic Electrical Circuits
|Electrical Insulation Systems
|High Voltage Techniques